Many people think being bigger is being stronger. If you’re wise, however, you know that some people develop inner strength, which makes them just as, if not more powerful, than those with physical strength.
Some of the most famous martial arts practitioners were actually small in stature, but they still possessed a great deal of strength with their hearts and minds. For instance, Bruce Lee was below average in height and weight, but he was one of the best martial artists ever. He possessed great inner strength, which made him larger than life.
Having the power to believe in yourself and your abilities, regardless of size, is an important lesson martial artists learn through their training. This is why martial arts is so popular with all types of people.
You may have inner strength and not be aware of it. Answer the following statements as true or false to determine if you have inner strength.
1. T or F: When I feel tired during physical activity, I find the inner strength to keep going.
2. T or F: When someone picks on me, I find the inner strength to ignore him or her.
3. T or F: When I have much work to do, I find the inner strength to complete my work.
4. T or F: When I am afraid to try new activities, such as water skiing, I find the inner strength to give it a try.
5. T or F: When I have a bad day, I find the inner strength to be cheerful.
6. T or F: When I must tell the truth, even though I know I am wrong, I find the inner strength to admit it, regardless of the consequences.
7. T or F: When I have the opportunity to serve my community, I find the inner strength to follow through on my duties.
If you answered “true” to all of the statements above, then you have found your inner strength. Keep in mind—you must practice to find and maintain inner strength. In some cases, it may be easier to give up and allow your weaknesses to control your choices. However, with some practice and conscious attention, you will find opportunities to use your inner strength. As you do, you will notice yourself becoming stronger and living a happier life, due to your strong heart and mind.